Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:38:15 -0800
Hello, Moose!  You there?  Good.

Moose wrote:
 > I personally have as yet experienced no distortion of images with the
ES. The mechanical shutter is, of course,
 > available at any speed, so may be used outside the 1/60-1/200 range.
I've set up an Fn key to switch quickly.

Could you double-check that range for the electronic shutter?  I can't
seem to find it online.  If it can't go any slower than 1/60, that's
lame. Especially since a lot of the "artificial light" banding issues
people keep complaining about would go away if they just shot at 1/30.
Florescent lights may be on or off when you shoot at >1/60.  I suspect
cheap LEDs that use half-wave rectifiers would do the same.  I can only
imagine these folks' chagrin when they try to photograph their TV sets
or computer monitors.

I like to photograph my friends who play classical concerts, so a silent
electronic shutter would be a godsend for me. No more waiting for loud
passages.  But at least 1/30 and 1/15 is also sometimes necessary in
that environment.  I hope Olympus adopts an electronic shutter, too.  It
strikes me that it could be implemented as a firmware update.  Although
who knows if they will make it available to an older model.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the higher refresh rate for the E-M5
viewfinder. I've put that into my standard settings.

--Peter