[OM] OT upgrading to Win 7: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Subject: [OM] OT upgrading to Win 7: 32-bit or 64-bit?
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
I know we've got some computer gurus on the list, so I thought I'd ask for
advice. I've been using Win XP on my computers at work and at home, but
bought a laptop in January with Win 7 64 bit on it, and I liked it enough to
buy  a copy of Win 7 32 bit to install on a netbook I have to travel with.
Backed it  up, wiped the drive, and did the install myself. I'm going to have
to upgrade to  Win 7 at work within the next year, but I'm testing the
waters on my home  computers.

Now I'm contemplating installing Win 7 on my main desktop at home. It's a
couple of years old, but still recent enough to take the upgrade, I think
(from  running the upgrade advisor). I've already bought a new 120 GB SSD to
install as the boot drive, and plan on installing my OS and programs on it.
My  current boot drive is a 500 GB WD Caviar Black and I plan to use it for
storage  after the upgrade.

Here's what I have to work with:
ASUS P5KC motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDEA GeForce 8600GT-based video card

I plan to use Photoshop Elements for photo editing. I'm using version 7
now, and will buy the current version after I upgrade my OS. I have a  Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite 5400II scanner. I'm thinking I can use Vuescan to  drive
the scanner if I can't get a Minolta driver for it, but I don't use it  very
much. I've read online that others have gotten this scanner to run on
64-bit Win 7. I don't do any gaming or run any other heavy-duty apps.

I'm really wondering if I need access to more than 4 GB of RAM, vs having
any compatibility problems running the 64-bit version of Win 7 vs 32-bit.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Greg