Re: [OM] OT upgrading to Win 7: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT upgrading to Win 7: 32-bit or 64-bit?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:08:56 -0400
I recently installed a refurbished HP Pavilion with 8GB and a quad core
AMD processor running Win7 64 bit.  It took me a little while to get
used to Win 7 vs XP but now I generally prefer it.  Since this was a
whole new machine ($350 from geeks.com) sans monitor I had it and the
old XP machine on the same network where I was able to copy and install
thing easily and quickly from XP to Win7.  I also installed a KVM switch
between the XP and Win7 machines so both can be running and I can switch
which machine owns the keyboard, video and mouse with the push of a
button. Win7 64 bit recognizes 32 bit apps and installs them in their
own 32 bit (x86) program files directory.  I don't think that
necessarily extends to device drivers but your Minolta scanner is a USB
device and I think USB devices are covered in the transition from 32 to
64 bits.

There's probably a little bit of a gamble involved but if you can get
your old hardware to go beyond 4GB I'd definitely move to Win7 64 bit.
The HP Win 7 machine is so superior to the Dell XP machine in boot time
I can't even stand to wait for XP to boot anymore.  The XP machine will
ultimately be converted to Linux.

Chuck Norcutt