Re: [OM] New wheeled camera bag - Not quite what I expected

Subject: Re: [OM] New wheeled camera bag - Not quite what I expected
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 13:25:55 -0500
On 7/14/13 12:24 : , Ken Norton wrote:
> Should be getting it delivered tomorrow (while I'm in Colorado--grrr).
>
> BMW X5. We sprung for an extended warranty on it, because just one of
> the common part failures could cost more than what the warranty cost.
> Even with the warranty, it's way below retail.
>
> We checked the history and maintenance records of it, and it seems
> like half of the X5s are lemons and half are great. This one looks to
> be one of the great ones. If not, well, that's why the warranty.

I'm getting ready to order the second new car I've ever had.  My 2001
Subaru 2.5RS is getting on in years (almost 13) and with 190k on the
clock.... I can see larger repairs coming on the horizon that just don't
make financial sense.  I've got two local guys ready to give me Kelly
price for her, and with the money I got from Dad's life insurance, I
have a decent down-payment.

After 13 years driving with Subaru's all-wheel-drive system and that
silky boxer engine, I'm going for a base-model WRX.  I'm just so used to
the way that Impreza handles and fits me - very rarely has it done
anything remotely scary when I asked it to perform.  That balance and
low center of gravity even saved my tail once when, at 60mph, the truck
in front of me dropped a piece of scrap metal on the road and I had to
swerve to avoid it.

Now, most people will tell you that trying to run a slalom at 60mph is a
BAD THING.  However, driving instinct coupled with bottom-heavy weight
distribution and all four wheels scrabbling for grip kept me out of the
concrete barriers throughout a 360-degree spin that landed me back in my
original lane, pointed the right direction.

Not that excited about having car payments again, but that new WRX is
enticing... I'll have to order it again, since dealer stock is usually
loaded with a bunch of crap I don't want, and so far, nobody I've seen
has it in the dark blue I want.  I had the RS built-to-order, and I'm
happy I did that.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard