Re: [OM] New wheeled camera bag - Not quite what I expected

Subject: Re: [OM] New wheeled camera bag - Not quite what I expected
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:33:47 -0600
> I gather that BMW went a little cheaper with its later cars (my X1 does not
> have the most expensive-looking interior, but then it is a cheaper model).  I
> have always like the interior of German cars, but I wouldn't swap a BMW or
> Audi for a Merc.

What's odd is that the latest/greatest Jeep Grand Cherokees are really
upscale on the interiors. Definitely higher quality than ever. World
class? Well, let me put it this way--it's in the same class as
Toyota/Lexus. Very good, but lacks that something extra. (The Leica
touch?) Upscale interiors usually mean swapping out the cloth or vinyl
seats for leather. Upgrading the stereo, and actually putting switches
in those obscene blanks on the dashboard that scream "You cheepskate".
The BMW isn't that way. Come to think of it, the 5-series of 20 years
ago was built like this too, but just with poorer and totally
unreliable componants. Just putting a lot of power adjustments in a
seat doesn't make it comfortable. Those adjustments usually mean
making the seat tolerable. This seat was comfortable in many
positions.

> Which model is yours, Ken.  What power is the "tiny 3L"?  Really, the cc
> indicates little in terms of pulling power: European companies have always
> made better use of the engine, size for size, than US makers have.

2004 X5 E53 with 3 Litre in-line 6-cylinder engine. Automatic tranny.
225 hp @ 5900 rpm, 214 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm

Not that much horsepower and torque for a vehicle over 4650 pounds,
but it does seem like the power is there across the entire rev range
and doesn't give it up at higher speeds. A proper running Jeep Grand
Cherokee of the same era will scorch four tires coming off the line,
but will give it up past 35 mph. Nothing but asthma. The Jeep's
pre-2005 inline-6 was a torque monster and had it all available at
idle. So, this X5 engine is underpowered for the vehicle weight (you
aren't going to race it), but it doesn't embarrass itself either.
Accelleration is smooth from idle to redline. Part of that, though,
would be the traction control doing it's thing. I disabled it and
things were a little different off the line, but irrelevent once the
torque and traction curves crossed.

If I sense anything that will take getting used to, is that BMW tunes
the drivetrain on this so it handles and feels like a rear-wheel
drive. The transfer-case is not linear in it's assignment of power to
the axles. It's got some form of active coupling going on. Certainly
unlike the brilliant Audi in this regard, and more like the common
trait today of viscious couplings. I do prefer a Jeep or Audi system.
Rumor has it that the transfer case is courtesy of Land Rover. When
getting on the throttle with the traction control turned off, the
rears start to spin then the fronts kick in and everything just moves
forward at a brisk pace. Audi's system will walk the wheel spin around
the car as each wheel claws for traction. Meanwhile, the Jeeps don't
care, they just go with a howl.

My 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the largest interior of all Grand
Cherokees. The cargo area is over twice as large as the X5. The latest
couple versions of the Grand Cherokee are much smaller, though.
Vehicles actually are quite similar. They even look about the same.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx