Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:48:34 -0400
Hum. Nice owner! I know here in my home state of Maine, which relies heavily on
tourism, eating out can be a very expensive proposition, even at modest
restaurants. For us, the average check, including tip, for a nice dinner and a
drink or two (sometimes I don't drink) usually runs around $60. A pricy dinner
in a trendy tourist-centered restaurant can run upwards of $100. And if you
stop at Red's Eats in Wiscasset (shack beside Route One) and have a lobster
roll, prepare to shell out $20 per roll, fries extra. Oh, and also be prepared
to stand in line for an hour or more, even in the middle of the afternoon. It's
freaking crazy.

The trick is to find the little out-of-the-way places tourists never go where
good food can be found at "local" prices. I have one such place I go for
breakfast two or three times a week. A couple of eggs, some link sausage, hash
browns and raisin toast = $7.44, including restaurant tax, which is pretty
steep in Maine. The owner makes the bread herself, and all varieties are beyond
delicious. But you'd _never_ stop at the place if you were just driving
through, unless you saw all the cars and pickups parked outside and were
feeling fairly adventurous. The owner says she's going to upgrade the
building's exterior, and I will rue the day because when she does, a lot of
tourist inhibitions will be shed and I won't be able to get into the place.