Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:32:34 -0400
Only tangentially related, but I just read an article in a motorcycle touring
magazine about a couple who rented a big BMW in Munich and set out for some
time in Switzerland. They said they had to be very careful of the way in which
they spent their money because of the value of Swiss currency. For example,
they said a spaghetti dinner with a glass of wine each in a non-glitzy family
restaurant set them back $138 US. But then they said they rented self-catering
accommodations in small towns _close_ to big attractions and did their shopping
in grocery stores, cooking for themselves, and managed huge savings, i.e., $20
for dinner + wine.

How can this be? If it's expensive in a family restaurant, why isn't it
expensive at the grocery store as well? Or the accommodations? (One of the
towns was Ponresina, close to St. Moritz, but with more family friendly prices.)

--Inquiring minds