Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:53:36 -0400
We ran into the same thing several years ago on a family trip to Italy.  It
was too expensive for the 6 of us to eat out in even the cheapest pizza
restaurant in Northern Italy but I bought food at the  market and cooked
meals very inexpensively.  We had rented the gatehouse of a castle and the
owner provided us with all of the wine we could drink for nothing.  The
whole trip turned out to be cheaper than staying at home would have been,
but we ate very few meals in restaurants.

Tina

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Only tangentially related, but I just read an article in a motorcycle
> touring magazine about a couple who rented a big BMW in Munich and set out
> for some time in Switzerland. They said they had to be very careful of the
> way in which they spent their money because of the value of Swiss currency.
> For example, they said a spaghetti dinner with a glass of wine each in a
> non-glitzy family restaurant set them back $138 US. But then they said they
> rented self-catering accommodations in small towns _close_ to big
> attractions and did their shopping in grocery stores, cooking for
> themselves, and managed huge savings, i.e., $20 for dinner + wine.
>
> How can this be? If it's expensive in a family restaurant, why isn't it
> expensive at the grocery store as well? Or the accommodations? (One of the
> towns was Ponresina, close to St. Moritz, but with more family friendly
> prices.)
>
> --Inquiring minds
>

> On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:46 AM, SwissPace wrote:
>
> > Well I did my bit to help and have just bought a spanish built bike - BH
> > Neo Emotion (jumper) as seen on FB  and my wife may buy another model
> > from the same manufacturer at the weekend, plus you will see a huge rise
> > in the UK economy as I will visit shortly and have been ordering
> > landrover and bicycle bits :-)  and yes we do support the local economy
> > as well much more so than a lot of our swiss friends who buy from
> Germany.
> >

> > On 12/04/2013 07:40, Chris Barker wrote:
> >> Thanks, Nathan.  Although less of a religious participation, I suspect
> that the fiesta serves a traditional purpose, to help comfort a community
> with problems.  I write this after hearing of  the dreadful rate of
> unemployment in Spain.
> >>
> >> And the sunshine will help to keep people cheerful . . .
>
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com