Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:42:10 -0500
> Meat is not subsidised andI paid 138
> US for our christmas turkey last year!

As of yesterday, I could buy turkey for $1.19 a pound here. Still a
little high. When it drops down to $0.89, I'll pick up two or three.
One to cook right away and two to throw in the freezer. The $0.89
specials happen a couple times a year and you have to be patient. So,
I can buy a really big honkin bird for under twenty bucks and feed an
army for a week.

Other meat products aren't bad either. The thing about turkeys is that
there is a seasonal demand, but a year-round supply. Buy them outside
the holiday window and you'll do well. In another month, we have this
big BBQ season push. Pork ribs are usually held back for demand and
then flooded on the market in a two or three week window. It's times
like this when you get to stuff your freezer at bargain prices. I
dislike paying more than $1.29 for ribs and I can usually pick some up
on special for that or lower.

Chicken? The prices seem to cycle up and down on two month pattern. I
picked up a couple whole birds for $0.69 per pound. One of those will
feed a family of four pretty well and also gives me high quality
chicken stock for about four pots of soup.

Steaks are expensive. You can get creative and buy various "roasts"
and do your own cutting. This will give you the same specific steaks
for up to half the price. I get steaks a handful of times a year, so I
enjoy them whenever I get them.

Veggies? Now THOSE are expensive.

--
Ken Norton