Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:05:36 -0600
> Decent size.
> Not too attractive to me, as it means yet another down sample size and
> resharpening settings/masks.

Well, individuals can change the size in their own galleries, but I'm
just looking for a standard point that works best for the majority of
users. If we make the standard size too large, it slows down the
viewer's experience too much unless we force a higher compression
ratio. I'd rather not have Hostgator shut me down because I'm abusing
the network. (remember, I've got several other sites running too on my
account).

> Who's using a 1024 screen? My little 11" netbook is 1366; the new iPad is
> 2048. even the iPhone 5 is 1136.

It's not just screen width, but also download speeds. There are a LOT
of people using wireless. And more and more people are using tablets
for viewing.

> So as yet not up to the LUG implementation. It seems it gets around the
> template limits by opening a new
> browser window for the full size image.

I need specifics on this. If LUG's standard width is greater then the
question is what happens to the thumbnails to the right. I believe
that at this time we still need to support a viewing experience of
1024 width. Many of us have old, ancient steam-powered iPads. A
different theme would place the thumbnails in a different position,
but this theme is really quite preferable, I think.

> I do think KISS applies here, especially at first. Get it up, stable,
> familiar to users. Later, consider add-ons.

Thank you. My feelings, precisely.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx