Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 4/1/2013: flare in Barcelona (NOT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 4/1/2013: flare in Barcelona (NOT)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:07:52 -0800
On 1/7/2013 7:53 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Nathan wrote
>
>>   We were walking straight west, and so the setting sun
>> provided rich opportunities for contre-jour imagery. I have to say that
>> with any of my other systems, past or present (Pentax, Canon, Panasonic
>> etc.) this image would have drowned in flare. But a Leica lens (35mm
>> Summarit, their "budget" option in that focal length) is something
>> special:
>>
>> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2307323475&k=tH
>> jDCSb&lb=1& s=O
> I don't wish to sound disagreeable, but I note that the actual glass of the
> lens
> was in shade - out of direct light.
>
> My experience of this situation - which I use myself sometimes - is that most
> lenses should be able to cope with that  quite well.
>
> Had the sun been shining directly on the lens - well that could be another
> story but it wasn't, so we will never know.

Nicely put, Brian.

Many lenses will have trouble with sun just outside the frame. None I know of
can look around corners to find flare
trouble. :-)

In fairness, there are lenses that could have flare issues with the very bright
parts of this scene. But none of us
would use them. ;-)

Flaring Nostrils Moose