Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 4/1/2013: flare in Barcelona (NOT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 4/1/2013: flare in Barcelona (NOT)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 04:53:06 +1300
Nathan wrote

>  We were walking straight west, and so the setting sun
> provided rich opportunities for contre-jour imagery. I have to say that
> with any of my other systems, past or present (Pentax, Canon, Panasonic
> etc.) this image would have drowned in flare. But a Leica lens (35mm
> Summarit, their "budget" option in that focal length) is something
> special:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2307323475&k=tH
> jDCSb&lb=1& s=O

I don't wish to sound disagreeable, but I note that the actual glass of the
lens
was in shade - out of direct light.

My experience of this situation - which I use myself sometimes - is that most
lenses should be able to cope with that  quite well.

Had the sun been shining directly on the lens - well that could be another
story but it wasn't, so we will never know.

For example, look at the first photo I put up on Ken's new site. That cycad
frond was lit by direct back-light. I was struggling to get a decent shot in
the
face of a persistent and strong wind that was making the frond move around
a lot. I was not able to take care as i normally would, to have the front
element of the lens in shade, so I don't know what the facts are there. But in
many respects that shot was taken in a similar situation.

Oh - and the zone-10 auto resizing down from 900 pixels to 640  didn't do
the sharpness of that image any favours. I decided to not substitute a
factory-resize as that would have altered the upload date on the site.

Oops - I see that Ken has fixed that - Great .

Brian Swale