Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:05:52 -0600
> Hey, I signed up last time to the ZX user's gallery. Nothing much ever came
> of that.

Correct. It just wasn't the right time and the scope was too broad.

> I hope this one goes well. I really dislike the social media for image
> posting.

What I really dislike about it is how those social media sites are
constantly attempting to take your content for their own purposes.
Also, there is that little issue of their resize algorithms which
really stinks up the show. I've got the quality setting at 95%,
whereas FB's is set down around 65%.

> I'm waiting until things settle down to decide whether to even try it out.
> Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good
> thing. I'm just not sure how many places I want to post images, other than
> for special events.

You'll have to sign up and post an image to your own gallery before
being able to participate in the TOPE events. Also, in case you
haven't realized it, to see anything larger than a reduced image (and
make comments) you have to be a registered user.

> I'm not attracted by the look, nor by the annoying admin interface, if it is
> like Gallery before...

But, a few posts ago you were praising the LUG implementation. I'm
trying to do the same. In addition, I've gotten a lot smarter about
this AND have gone with a much better template (theme). It's not
really all that difficult. There is a hazard in all this--if I make it
too easy, then people will put up too much stuff. If I make it too
difficult then nobody will use it. Striking the balance is important.
There is a part of me that would like to implement a limit where you
can have only, say 50 images. You post your best/current stuff and
delete the ones that are no longer your best. Kinda a 500pix sort of
thing. (Once an image is replicated to a TOPE gallery, you can delete
it from your own gallery).

> Once I have the images ready, I can have a new gallery up in Singapore in
> seconds.

Hehehe. This is where modern technology is coming in. There really is
a short and sweet way of uploading images that makes your Singapore
implementation seem crude and soooooo 1995.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx