Re: [OM] Formulaic Portraits? [was National Geo Photo Contest]

Subject: Re: [OM] Formulaic Portraits? [was National Geo Photo Contest]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:32:57 -0500
> Do these manage?

Yup! And I agree with Bob that they are a great driptick. ;)

> At least I think from the concentration it was work. Hard to tell with these
> kids. They are both artists. They can sit
> companionably together for hours, ear buds in, using iPhones, netbooks and
> iPad. I have no idea at any given moment who
> is working and who is playing. Don't say anything much, but who knows, they
> may be IMing, or some such. I know they
> exchange files with Dropbox when working on related stuff.

As a person who is well wired in most senses of the word, I can
relate. The short answer is that work and play intermingle very
tightly. Work is play, play is work. Work and play coexist. Play is
never far from work and work is never far from play. It is nearly
impossible to separate the two. You're either drinking Mountain Dew or
Starbucks coffee.

The earbuds are an interesting thing, though. These days, we'll jump
from Pandora (I'm listening at the moment to Keith Emerson), to
Podcasts (in a few minutes I'm leaving for home and will catch this
week's TWIP in double-speed) or to iTunesU (after TWIP I'll be
listening to classes from Harvard). This morning, before work, I
audited a mix from a band that is recording a new album. Sometimes, I
will just have the earbuds in, but the audio off, just to keep people
from bothering me.

Dropbox is now sooooo yesterday. I'm now using Google Drive almost
exclusively. I probably average 20-30 things a week transferred via
Drive. I'd use it more if email wasn't so blasted convenient.

Ahhhh.  Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Overture

Sorry about that, back to being wired. Now with the smartphone, this
work/play thing has gotten even more interesting. Let's put it this
way, I use Sprint because of the unlimited data plan. Between the four
of us, either connected to the cell towers or through WiFi, we're
blowing past 15-20GB a month without batting an eye.

When doing my commute, I usually have the cellphone on and the nav app
loaded. It gives me road conditions so I don't have to listen to the
radio.

Oh, music and work. For me, it's actually very important. Music is the
stimulant I need to keep my ADHD in check. I'm most productive with
some heavy-handed British rock. In Pandora, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
usually will do the trick. Simon and Garfunkel will usually send me
right under the desk. If I really need to be productive, I'll listen
to some Mia Zapata (The Gits) or Joan Jett. Toby Mac makes a decent
counterpoint.

No, I really don't sleep much.

AG Schnozz

--