Re: [OM] National Geo Photo Contest

Subject: Re: [OM] National Geo Photo Contest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:35:46 -0500
> Some of these are good and some are awful:

I tend to judge images (both my own and others) based on the premise
of "have I seen this before?" Most of them, although technically quite
good, just don't do anything for me. Nice pictures, but not anything
that causes me to come to a full stop.

Sunrise on Palouse Hills, by Randall Roberts was the one "pretty
picture" that I really enjoyed.

Broken Home, by Jeff Berkes also got my attention. Both of these
images could comfortably grace the walls in my house.

Nomad Woman, by John Quintero was also very good.

Good Bye Old Friend, by John Chaney definitely fell into the category
of "I've never seen this before". I've seen more Africa wildlife
pictures than I ever care to see. This one is a variation of something
I've seen several times before, but not in such a poignant way.

Reality, by Sachi Wickramage is the classic begger cliche picture.
While it is well done, it's still in the "I visited India and here is
my begger picture" realm.

Blizka, by Thomas Jorion. G A F -1F C

The rest of the pictures would fall totally into the "stock
photography" category. I'm looking at all the formulaic compositions
which allow for ad copy. Yawn. Been there, do that myself.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx