Re: [OM] National Geo Photo Contest

Subject: Re: [OM] National Geo Photo Contest
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:03:39 +0100
Yes, there is something odd about that image, Chuck. It appears that DoF did
not cover the distance between the front and rear tree trunks, but was
sufficient to cover the leopard's body - I fear that would be a 500/2 lens!
But look again at the exceedingly well-defined sharp edge around the
leopard, do you not begin to suspect a paste-up? Now look again at the bark
of the tree - does it look in proportion to the leopard? Does it even look
tropical? I think I can see moss on the bark at the left hand side of the
image!
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/ngt071812/s_n05_nleopard.jpg

While I agree with you that there is blurring in the image, I think the
strange DoF could also be explained by this being two images made into one.
In either case, it's certainly against the spirit of the rules, but possibly
not against the letter "Only minor burning, dodging and/or color correction
is acceptable, as is cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched
panoramas are NOT acceptable. Any changes to the original Photograph not
itemized here are unacceptable and will render the Photograph ineligible for
a prize."
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/photo-contest/
2012/rules/  but since the rules require jpg submissions, there's no
enforcement possible - perhaps we should be congratulating the
Photoshoppery?

Piers