Re: [OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies

Subject: Re: [OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:02:11 -0400
Cheaper and with more power and control that Canon radio triggered
speedlites.  Paul C Buff:
Hot shoe mounted 16 channel controller
<http://www.paulcbuff.com/cc.php>
Receivers capable of remotely setting power level on the flash
I'd use the CSRB+ (B=battery) <http://www.paulcbuff.com/csrplus.php>
Alien Bees lights (cheapest Paul C. Buff lights)  I have 4 B800s.
<http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php>

The only potential problem is that you need AC power or a DC/AC pure
sine wave inverter.  If you've got 3 separate light locations they're
going to be on some sort of a light stand which means power is probably
within reach.  I don't usually need it but I also I have my own home
concocted inverter unit that's capable of driving all 4 flash units off
a 12 volt 17 Amp battery.  The battery, charger and inverter are all
stashed in what was a small backpack hydration bag.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Powerpack%20for%20Bees.jpg>

This is the inverter I use.
<http://www.amazon.com/Samlex-PST-12A-DC-AC-Inverter/dp/B003FWPU7I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt>
It's 300 watts.  Alien Bees uses only 150 watts.  Smaller will mean
larger recycle times but may be better since they have a fairly high
current draw when just idling.

Chuck Norcutt