Re: [OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies

Subject: Re: [OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:24:09 -0700
Chuck and Ken, thanks for the explanation about metering. ow Ken is off on AF.
:-)

On 6/17/2012 11:12 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Bill, as a general rule, that is how the AF system works in a modern camera
> with multiple focus spots. In a DSLR, the sensor, being a phase-detect has
> a pretty good idea of which sensor position has the closest object and that
> one becomes the active point. With a contrast-detect AF, the lens has to do
> a quick run through from close to far and then calculates the part of the
> image that comes into focus at the closest point. These systems are getting
> much more complex now, but the underlying mechanism is based on this
> concept and will also do a fall-back to this methodology when the really
> fancy stuff fails.

So with face detection is it the closest face, or the midpoint between face
distances?

Pure curiosity, as I've never used face, or smile, or open/closed eye
detection. I suppose I should learn how to use
that stuff - except that, by the time, if ever, I want to use it, I'll have
forgotten. ;-)

I have always used central point only AF - focus, then frame. Particularly nice
with 60D, which has a separate AF button
on the back, separate from metering. Push it once and frame, reframe, etc. for
possibly several shots. You can do that
on the 5D, but there's no dedicated button, so some other function has to be
dropped.

One Point Moose