Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:27:04 -0500
I've been kludging the old lenses on Four-Thirds bodies for a few
years now. I would consider it significantly more difficult to manual
focus on the E-1 and DMC-L1 than the OM-3Ti. However, I've found that
manually focusing ANYTHING on a modern camera, Olympus or Canon, is
spotty at best. The focus screen in the 7D isn't too bad, but the 5D
just doesn't do the snap. It mushes in and out. Again, this isn't the
Zuikos talking, but is this way with the AF lenses.

Essentially, what has happened is that we NEED autofocus because the
screens are so bad. The screens are so bad because we have autofocus.
In my experience, the Nikon focus screens are much better for manually
focusing.

I very much like the idea of live-view EVF. Yes, live-view has its
issues, but one thing it has is the ability to do a quick and easy
zoom for critical focus function. I would really like (and haven't
seen whether the M-5D does this), is a central spot in the viewfinder
be zoomed in. The rest of the image stays full-image, just the center
is zoomed. That way I can focus on something without having to press
any buttons whatsoever. OK, maybe have it activate on the half-press.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx