Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 06:30:56 -0500
On Fri, May 4, 2012, at 07:58 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> When I moved from film to digital in 2004, I had several Leica R lenses.
> Over the years, I attempted to use them on a succession of Canon and
> Olympus bodies. I even replaced the focusing screen on one of the Canon
> bodies to make manual focusing easier. Invariably, I found that cameras
> work best with lenses designed for those cameras. Adapters etc. are
> always a kludge, sometimes better executed than others, but a kludge
> nonetheless. These days I only shoot manual focus lenses on my Leica M8,
> a camera that was designed for that.

When I acquired a 5D, I feared this and, more or less, expected it. I
have some interest from time to time in getting some proper glass for
it, but so far the only thing I really want to do with it is shoot with
Zuikos and the occasional Nikkor.  However, I am not a street
photographer.  When I know that I will need AF and speed, I use a
different camera.  I don't doubt that what you say is correct, both for
you personally and in the larger sense objectively, but if you want FF
digital and enjoy a film-like, manual workflow, the OM-5D is very nice
indeed, particularly with the EMF chipped adapters and/or aftermarket
focus screens.

I think the temptation would rise considerably were it a mkII or mkIII.
The 5D seems perfect for what I want to do.

A kludge is also a bridge.  My life is chock full of such things.  Dumb
yankee, I guess.

Joel W.

                          unladen european swallow