Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:16:22 -0400
When I first got my 5D some 6 (?) years ago I started off with a new
Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80/2.8 and soon after added a used Tokina AT-X Pro
80-200/2.8.  The two Tokinas are heavyweight tanks but I needed them at
the time to be able to focus reliably in the dim light of wedding
reception halls, etc.  I had assumed that I could use my OM mount lenses
for lighter weight walk-around use but they just proved too difficult to
focus. (this was before the advent of cheap and reliable AF detect
converters)  But I did get a fair amount of usage out of the Zuiko
24/2.8 for landscapes since, at f/11, I could focus it using only the
focusing scale set for hyperfocal distance.

The two Tokinas are good lenses but even the 28-80 is just too heavy for
frequent use.  Then I found a good deal on ebay for a Tamron 24-135
3.5-5.6 which is now my standard walk-around lens.  That reduced the
usage of the 24/2.8 but didn't eliminate it.  Then my next ebay deal was
a Tamron 20-40/2.7-3.5.  That can also be a walk-around lens depending
on the territory and being wider than the Zuiko 24 pretty much
eliminated it from further usage.  The 20-40's only bad characteristic
is bad flare on the wide end anywhere near the sun.  One must use it
cautiously.  Both of the Tamrons are film era AF lenses but seem to do
just fine except that none of these 4 lenses focuses with the speed of a
Canon.

That leaves the Tokina 17/3.5, and Zuiko 50/3.5 and Vivitar S1 90/2.5
macros as lenses that have no AF counterpart in my lens stable.  All of
this is just pointing out that lenses designed for the purpose are just
plain easier to use.

Chuck Norcutt