Re: [OM] Pentax K Mount Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentax K Mount Adapters
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:35:24 -0700

> >      The item is part of a ring that holds the aperture actuator ring in
> > place.  I'm going to play it safe and ask the repair tech at the local
> > camera shop to loosen the four screws holding it in place for me.
They're
> > JIA style Philips head, they're very tight, and I don't want to strip
them.
> > Then I'll mount the part on the end mill rotary table and VERY carfully
> > remove most if not all of the offending item.
> >

> I think I'd only take off the offending 2mm and only over the arc
> required.  It was put there for a purpose and I'll bet there's a good
> chance it will still serve the same purpose after minimalist surgery.

    The repair tech got the three JIS screws out, said that they were very
tight.  Getting the ring out I noticed that something similar to loctite was
used, which explains why the screws were exceptionally tight.

    He confirmed that the sole purpose of that extra metal is to protect the
aperture actuator arm, and he suggested removing it entirely, using nothing
more than sandpaper.

    Not to my complete surprise, he recognized the lens almost immediately.
I think he enjoys seeing this older equipment.

Chris