Re: [OM] Foveon update

Subject: Re: [OM] Foveon update
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:03:09 -0800 (PST)
 Mike,
      The full Sony patent shows a organic sensor with green sensitizing dye on
top of a 2 layer (Red ,blue) Silicon sensor, the later very like a Foveon
sensor.

  The idea of using an organic sensor layer() on silicon,with the silicon to
provide readout path, is not new.  Fujifilm has had 3 organic layer (RGB)
experimental sensors, for a few years now (eg:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_7341.html,
http://www.imagesensors.org/Past%20Workshops/2007%20Workshop/2007%20Papers/071%20Takada%20et%20al.pdf)
 .

The idea of using organic PV cells for power generation has meant a lot of
development of that technology
recently.(http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_7341.html)

 A theoretical advantage of organic based sensors is they can be combined with
special dyes (like the layer dyes in film), to get good color separation (the
article above mentions fuji's film experience with film dyes). This maybe an
advantage over foveon, where the SI absorbtion color separation is worse than
conventional on chip filters.

The Sony Patent is like a hybrid approach. In theory the organic layer sensor
should give better separation of green, the wavelengths where the human eye has
the highest resolution/sensitivity. The Red-Blue color separation of the
Foveon style sensor is likely less limiting then, given the wider separation of
R-B wavelengths.

Although a different trade-off, the Bayer pattern uses knowledge of human
vision too: It trades off improved green resolution (optimum for human
perception) against a much lower R+B resolution with associated, much worse R&B
moire/aliasing.

Tim Hughes