Re: [OM] Foveon update

Subject: Re: [OM] Foveon update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:24:50 -0800
On 2/5/2011 6:09 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!     No, SD1 - not
> SD15<http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092129sigmasd1.asp>
> It's a whole different thing!

Gosh, sorry to upset you! :-)

  As the SD1 is as yet vaporware, I thought revisiting the performance of the
SD14 closely compared to what was at the
time possibly the best conventional, Bayer Array, full frame camera might be a
start toward imagining what the SD1 may
achieve.

If the SD14 is a close competitor to the 5D in actual, visible resolution, it
would seem to suggest that the SD1 may
outperform all contemporary Bayer array cameras at least up to FF.

On the flip side, the images for that particular comparison were made under
ideal circumstances for the S14, low ISO in
bright light, moderately close , fixed subjects.

I also thought the comparison provided a primer on the specific strengths of
the Foveon sensor and weaknesses of Bayer
Arrays, that would be of interest to anyone thinking about Sigma's cameras.

As I said, I've recently struggled with some images from the 5D with exactly
the problems that are illustrated in the
article. It was nice to be reminded of what I had forgotten about the source of
the difficulties. Still frustrating, but
not the fault of the lenses or my technique, as I tended to assume.

At the moment, Sigma's SD1 site just says "Coming soon". Until they actually
release some, we won't know anything more.
I seem to recall some considerable delays between announcement and delivery on
earlier Sigma cameras?

Moose