Re: [OM] Foveon update

Subject: Re: [OM] Foveon update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:09:33 -0800
On 2/5/2011 2:02 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, I read the 15 million but are not the RGB photosites in a Foveon sensor
> located one above the other (essentially on a Z axis).  If so then there are
> only 5 million X-Y positions for spatial resolution.

True - and yet. I'm sure this has been posted before, although you may have
missed it or forgotten the details
<http://www.ddisoftware.com/sd14-5d/>.

The fellow's practical credentials are impeccable to me. I've used Qimage to
work miracles. He KNOWs them pixels. I also
find his discussion persuasive. But what seals the deal for me are his
excellent, careful examples.

I'm rather glad this thread led me to go back and look at this again. It
directly addresses some image issues with 5D
and G11 that have had me scratching my head lately.

I tend to believe his conclusion is fair and accurate.

"The bottom line here is that the SD14 appears to compare favorably to high end
cameras having final images with
significantly higher pixel counts.  Is the SD14 equivalent to a standard 14 MP
camera?  As you can see from the above,
that would depend on the circumstances and what you are shooting.  I've
upsampled a number of SD14 shots to 5D
resolution and in most areas of near gray or only lightly saturated colors,
there is actually very little visible
difference between the SD14 and 5D shots as far as detail or resolving power.
Throw in some saturated colors, however,
and the detail and 3D appearance of the SD14 might just edge out the 5D!"

If the SD15 addresses some of the other SD issues effectively, it could be a
real sleeper for those interested in
flower, landscape and macro photography, in particular.

Tricolor Moose