Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens

Subject: Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:54:30 -0800
On 1/20/2011 1:05 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Not wishing to start an argument with someone who is much more knowledgeable
> about post-processing than I, but I just note that most of the images you
> show here are in good light.

Indeed. Although I often shoot in dim light, mostly outdoors, in recent years
that's all been RAW. I have posted a fair
number of dim light JPEG shots here, but perhaps mostly not since you joined.

I posted these shots in a larger gallery in 2005. I've put them in Singapore
now, so you can see the EXIF data. It
doesn't show flash setting, but the EXIF shows that only the second shot used
flash. I didn't like the effect, compared
to shot 1, so I went all natural light after that. It was a heavily overcast
day, with light rain while we were in the
woods. It was very dim where all the shots away from the river were taken,
especially the 'shrooms. I'd only received
the F10, famous at the time for its low light performance, a couple of days
before I flew East, and saw this as a good
chance to test its low light chops. Not bad at all.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Maine/Fourth_Iron>

This and all the following shots in this gallery are JPEGs from the F30, mostly
in extremely dim light.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Seattle/SoulSong&image=DSCF1504rotcrii.jpg>

Did I wish I'd brought the 5D, 50/1.8 and a fast wide lens I don't have? Sure,
but the images convey the feeling of the
gathering pretty well.

I took a few non-flash shots at this celebration, but only this one made the
cut. Still, it's the only one that I'd use
other than in a gallery of memories for those who were there.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/JuliaGrad/3-Celebrate&image=DSCF1434cr.jpg>
> In such circumstances, JPEG is indeed OK. But if you are like me, often
> shooting at night in crummy light, often converting to B&W etc., then RAW is
> the way to go.

I absolutely agree with you.

And now that your generalization has been made more specific, I think it's fine:

"But in general,[if you are like me, often shooting at night in crummy light,
often converting to B&W etc.] shooting JPG only is like throwing your negatives
away after having minilab prints made."

A. Pedantic Moose