Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens

Subject: Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 01:38:18 +1300
 Chris wrote:
> > I walked in these gardens in Cambridge today; it was a sunny day,
> > albeit chilly with a low sun and I took my E-3 and G-12.  I set my
> > E-3 to record both RAW and jpg (I normally use RAW only) and was
> > rather pleased with the results.  In Aperture the jpg files need
> > little or no adjustment, whereas the RAW files look a little flat and
> > require more adjustment to make them look good on my monitor.
> >
> > I did this because I have read that the E-5 does a good job with jpgs
> > and I wondered what my E-3 would be like in these lighting conditions.
> > All I did was adjust the Exposure slightly and add Definition (LCE, I
> > think).  I should be interested in anyone's thought on the matter;
> > there's a selection (5) here:
> >
> > http://threeshoes-photo.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Chris

The Gardens shots take me back to 1978 when I visited them with my then
wife to be ...

I guess they remind me how difficult it can be to take photos in low winter
sunlight with no cloud around to lighten up the shadows. Extreme contrast is
hard work with digital.

The Grass plant shot is far too dark for my taste, and the "powder Puff plant;
my preference would have been to expose correctly on the flower ( had I
noticed the problem at the time, which is doubtful), and let the unimportant
background  blow out. The bokeh there isn't much of a problem.

I liked the Grob and the Lumix hood shots the best, followed by Gate and
Leaf.  I don't know what I'd have done with "Ford and Packhorse Bridge in
Sutton". Come back at another time, I think, when there was more cloud
around; too much contrast there for my taste.

Hope my candid comments aren't too brutal .. :-)

Brian Swale.