Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens

Subject: Re: [OM] Cambridge Botanical Gardens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 21:21:52 -0800
On 1/11/2011 4:38 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
>   Chris wrote:
>>> I walked in these gardens in Cambridge today; . . .  I should be interested
>>> in anyone's thought on the matter; there's a selection (5) here:
>>>
>>> http://threeshoes-photo.blogspot.com/
>
> I guess they remind me how difficult it can be to take photos in low winter
> sunlight with no cloud around to lighten up the shadows. Extreme contrast is
> hard work with digital.

I love that kind of light! So warm and rich and the side light brings out
textures.

You do go on about how limited DR is in digital. I do go on about how it's not
a big problem with proper equipment and
technique. I know I've posted many high contrast shots taken with compact
cameras with less inherent DR than you E-thingies.

There's no other way/time to get images like these.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/BlakeHouse/WB650_First_Shots&image=SAM_0148ia60.jpg>
-
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/BlakeHouse/WB650_First_Shots&image=SAM_0146ia60.jpg>

Those were taken with a compact camera with teensy sensor and only JPEG output.

I've posted these before, but they still show how a compact camera with RAW can
properly handle bright reds and yellows
in direct, midday, cloudless, summer sun.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Glen_Ellen&image=IMG_0813ptlcr.jpg>
-
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Glen_Ellen&image=IMG_0820iia.jpg>
-
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Glen_Ellen&image=IMG_0847cria75.jpg>

  There are no tricks, no multiple exposure bracketing, no HDR, just proper
technique and processing. It CAN be done!
Why not stop blaming DR problems on the cameras?

As to Chris' shot, see my post on that.

A. Testy Moose