Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:58:27 +1300
I've got 80-something images each with associated files in my photo site so
far.
I agree that the thumbnails could be bigger, so plan to raise their width from
70 to 90 pixels. This will take for ever, as I have to modify the pages that
contain them, the images, upload them all and delete the old ones.
Lots of scope for mistakes, and I get no brownie points for spending time on
the computer. :-((

I had already begun to make the main sample images 450 pixels wide cf
350.  Except for portrait-orientated pics where the "look" of the screen gets
messed up by images that are too long; in those cases it will be "suck it and
see".
I'm aware of the story of the person whose restaurant business was
suffering because he didn't make "eggs Benedict". And I thought at the time
that "I'd never heard of 'eggs Benedict", so what's the fuss all about?"
Not that I have a lot of sympathy for restaurant owners; I very seldom use
restaurants and I can hardly imagine a more horrible occupation.
However, I digress.
I see the point that Chuck was making, and as I read that I remembered the
actual story from Andrew in Melbourne about one of his favourite
restaurants where the chef does his own thing regardless, and even when
he cooked lamb's fry ( not everbody's favourite dish) people turned up ate
ate it. Including Andrew.

Forward, back etc buttons would spoil the decor of my pages, and there's
really not room for them.

Many successful sites do without such buttons. I visit them all the time.

As a concession I will see if I can find an on-line gymn where people with
weak wrists can work out .... :-)  (Note the smiley !)

I've placed advice on two main index pages to use the buttons for
navigation.

I feel sure that one aspect is that my images are not good enough; also I
know that photographers *here* who are not in the business of doing
product photography for shops, junk-mail and the like, resort to publishing
books that use their photos. I still plan to try that method.

In my opinion, by and large, people in New Zealand don't see photographic
images as an art form they want to place on the walls of their homes (and
this is made even more difficult with modern homes having glass exterior
walls with little solid wall to place ANY art work on.

One of NZ's leading landscape photographers (and publishers) opened a
lovely photographic gallery in Arrowtown, right in the heart of tourist country
here. He had 95% his own work there. Check out "Craig Potton". Within two
years he had closed it; not enough business. ( I have my own opinions as to
why; the format of the pics was universally too large for tourists, there was
not enough subject variety -  he should have had other photog works there -
and the prices; $1,500 to $3,000 - the main reasons).

Having seen Geoff Cloake's site and images I can see that I have lots of
scope for improving my photographic and image creating style. On his site
he invited people to be his 'FB friend', so I took him up on that ..  We went
the same secondary school ( high school, if you prefer) which could be
another useful start point, and he also started with OMs. He did remark that
I was at that school before he was born ...   Happens sometimes. I was born
before my son as well.
Speaking of which he and his g/f are having a great time in Val d'Isere in the
French Alps where they will be for 6+ months; temperatures down to minus
30 deg C lately ...
Pics on facebook to look at if you are a fb friend of mine ...

Brian Swale.