Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 09:30:42 +1300
<right> buttons on my

http://www.brianswale.com/  pages,
and I objected to doing that (because of the tedium of it, and the limited real
estate available on each page).

As I was mulling over these discussions in my sleep afterwards, I realised
that these buttons ARE ALREADY THERE (not shouting) but maybe in a
form that neither recognise.

Apart from a few early pages that I might not have corrected, EVERY image
page has ALL the navigation buttons a visitor needs.

On the left are the base level directories. These are addressed by absolute
URLs not by relative URLs, so there should never be an error in getting
there straight away.

Similarly, on the right, are all the the major subject gallery addresses,
again,
as absolute URLs not as relative URLs. And once you have been to (say)
the Flower gallery and want to return there, since your browser cache should
still have all the link images etc, your return trip should be as fast as your
browser software can re-display stuff from virtual memory.

The buttons are already there. Every page has them.  Is that too hard?

Next, as a result of this discussion, I realised that laptop computers and the
like have become very popular. Yes, I'm not interested in one, but others
are.

I'm assuming that somebody using one if these with a screen smaller than
800 x 600 pixels can't be serious about purchasing an image because
there's no way they will see a decent image of even the reduced size (400 x
whatever pixels) that my subject pages have. They'll have to get on a decent
machine.

SO, if you are using one of the newer laptops, and I presume with no rodent
(mouse) how do you navigate from place to place?

If you are doing a Google search, and from the middle of page 5 of the
search, you want to go back to the previous page, how do you achieve that?

I'd actually like to do a survey on these pages to find out who uses such a
laptop as their main computer, and who uses a desktop as their main
computer. Just to get an idea of computer population trends.

Cheers ....

Brian Swale.