Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:39:32 +1300
Chris wrote

> I'm afraid I'm with Moose on what he wrote, Brian.  How your photos are
> appreciated will depend greatly on how they are presented, whatever the
> quality of your photography.
>
> On the subject of the back button, I use my mouse as little as possible,
> preferring keyboard shortcuts.  Now, with no navigation buttons on a
> gallery I could open each image in a separate tab, but that is still more
> faff than most galleries.  I prefer the ones with which I can use my arrow
> keys to go back and forth.

Chris, you could have, as the saying goes, knocked me over with a feather,
revealing your browsing technique preferences.

I would never imagined in a thousand years that someone would not prefer
to use a mouse. I use arrow keys if the software makes it easier - for
example when looking at a directory/folder using FastStone Image Viewer in
full-screen mode, but not otherwise. I've got to the stage that the mouse is
almost an extension of my brain. But my right hand can alternate seamlessly
from keyboard to mouse as the task demands it, as it the case while I'm
typing right now. And the functions of the two  mouse buttons and scroll
wheel also seem close to being hard-wired into my brain. I use them without
conscious thought; like balance when walking, they just happen. (Actually, at
my stage in life, balance when walking can no longer be taken for granted; I
would not trust my sense of balance on some mountain tracks any more,
sadly.)

i guess then, in the long run, it is just not possible to please everybody (so
why knock yourself out trying to).

It could depend on whether or not the viewer actually wants to buy images
from a site and is prepared to do what it takes to see them, or is just looking
from curiosity.

If the viewer is a potential buyer and the images are of attractive enough
quality, maybe they will look regardless of the site characteristics.

That raises the ante for me, then.

Brian Swale.