Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:32:17 -0600
> Isn't that partly your format? In a gallery site where there is only one
> large image on view at a time, it should be
> less of a problem. I wonder about pre-loading the next image while one is
> being viewed; then 'Next' would be instant. I
> know some slide show do that.

The Zone-10 website is pretty much locked into a "format" or a general
design. In this case, it's two columns, with the menu, links and
advertisements in the left column and the content in the larger
right-hand column. This uniformity of design is limiting, yet is the
layout I choose to use as all pages are identical in layout and
operation. There are issues with Mambo/Joomla in how multi-page
articles link from one page to the next, which is kludgy at best,
sickening at worse, but at least the buttons are usually in the same
neighborhood. When Zone-10 does eventually migrate to another CMS,
there will be a complete rebuild of the site to a new format.

Preloading images is an interesting idea. I know how to do it with
Flash, but that train has left the station. At this point, everything
has to be iSteveJobs compliant so Flash is history. Even Java scripts
have to be carefully done as so much of that is hard-filtered by the
brousers.

One thing about Gallery 2, is that you could actually build a very
effective photography website with just that system. But, now we're
talking about SmugMug all over again. You can also build a decent
website with that and there is little administration to worry about.

AG