Re: [OM] [OT] Video converter advice?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Video converter advice?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:52:57 -0800
On 12/25/2010 3:34 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> My son-in-law has some 1080 HD video of the kids he'd like to be able to put
> on-line for relatives to view.  I have no experience with video at all.  I
> tried to put one file on my website just to see if I could make it work but
> it soon became apparent that, at 349MB, we just couldn't move data fast
> enough on line to even upload it in a reasonable time let alone view it in
> real time.

I also have close to no video knowledge. I did try putting one on my web
server. Guess what? The browser didn't play it
when I tried.

Far the easiest for your son-in-law would be a video sharing site. I used the
Sammy to take a casual video of Carol
singing in a chorale. I simply uploaded it to YouTube as it came out of the
camera. They dealt automatically with all
the technical details and there it was.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmSiTsHaYo>

I didn't look into the details, but I saw options for privacy available, too.
The YouTube version is smaller on screen,
but not much worse quality than the low light compromised original.

> What we need is a free video converter for Windows that will allow downsizing
> resolution, and maybe frame rate and quality levels.

I've used Mp4Cam2AVI to convert video from the one form to another. It's free,
the interface assumes more knowledge than
I have, but it did the job.

> I tried ...
>
> ps: I'm going to need this myself soon.  I took Moose's advice and bought the
> Samsung WB650 P&S which also shoots HD video.  I agree, it's a cool camera.

Glad you like it!

> It has also shown me what I've been missing by not having any IS lenses for
> the 5D.  On full auto in so-so light it usually manages to hold ISO to 400
> with largish aperture (3.2) and 1/15 or 1/20 second shutter speed.

Yeah, the IS is impressive. Works well on video too. The above video was spur
of the moment and hand held, part of it at
arms length. Larger movements when changing the view or zooming are visible,
but the natural small movements of holding
it "steady" are corrected quite well.

Video (Not) Moose