[OM] [OT] Video converter advice?

Subject: [OM] [OT] Video converter advice?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 06:34:23 -0500
My son-in-law has some 1080 HD video of the kids he'd like to be able to
put on-line for relatives to view.  I have no experience with video at
all.  I tried to put one file on my website just to see if I could make
it work but it soon became apparent that, at 349MB, we just couldn't
move data fast enough on line to even upload it in a reasonable time let
alone view it in real time.

What we need is a free video converter for Windows that will allow
downsizing resolution, and maybe frame rate and quality levels.  I tried
installing an app called Freemake Video Converter which seemed to be
highly reviewed but I can't get it to work.  On the privileged account I
used to install it it will start up but then fail when trying to access
a read only directory:
    Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents
Trying to run it under a normal user account simply elicits an instant
failure message that the app can't be started. Not a very promising start.

Any suggestions?  The only real requirement is to make a dramatic
reduction in the file size while still leaving something worthwhile
viewing on the computer.

ps: I'm going to need this myself soon.  I took Moose's advice and
bought the Samsung WB650 P&S which also shoots HD video.  I agree, it's
a cool camera.  It has also shown me what I've been missing by not
having any IS lenses for the 5D.  On full auto in so-so light it usually
manages to hold ISO to 400 with largish aperture (3.2) and 1/15 or 1/20
second shutter speed.

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt