Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:13:26 +0200
Hi guys,

 >Exactly!  That's why you need tripod based working procedures.

As per your comments (respectively): I hear you, I hear you, and I
hear you. ;)

I'll have to see how to go about it. If indeed I make use of a tripod,
I'd still need to be able to set it up such that the camera would be
shooting straight from above (with the items, of greatly varying
sizes) lying on the table top. Previously, when shooting outdoors, I
found this is often too cumbersome. Also... Remember the Gremlins?
Well, my only two tripods that are suitable for mounting the camera
for such shooting conditions, fell victim to them: both are broken and
cannot steadily support the camera (due to the nature of the way they
are broken) in all required positions.

In my current set-up I use these two tripods for mounting the flashes
+ brolly boxes, and simply keep the camera hand held.

I know the right answer is to buy a decent tripod, and I also know
that they are inexpensive, so I will buy one very soon, probably. My
main issue, however, is the very limited time I tend to have for such
things. Often, when doing anything hobby oriented for longer than some
15-20 minutes I get pulled away by having my agenda re-prioritised as
"I'm not doing anything anyway", if you catch my drift. ;)

This then makes for short shooting sessions, where in bursts I tend to
take a few items, and quickly take as many shots as possible.

It will be a matter of experimenting a bit with the new set-up hand-
held (with a 95% correctness score, as for the approach), vs.
introducing a tripod for the camera in it and doing it the 100%
correct way, at the risk that it may result to be too time
consuming.... Having said all that; a thing I WOULD gain is the
possibilty of working at night, which is very handy, as the Gremlins
go to bed way earlier than I do, so I might have some opportunities of
taking those pictures in the attic at night time, IF at least that
doesn't disturb them (as I expect the flashes will still be visible
downstairs).

Now... For a tiny practical thingy: yesterday I managed to find an
aluminum strip, but I was very annoyed to find that the hardware shop
I was at only has metric sized bolts, and the thread on the bolts
wouldn't really (i.e. correctly) fit to that of the T20 connectors.

I am going to call around a bit, but it would be handy to know the
exact thread diameter (is that 1/8th inch or so?) as well as the
correct thread indication. I'm about to Google this, but does anyone
perhaps know the exact dimensions of the width and thread size off hand?

Cheers,
Olafo