Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:12:23 -0500
I just looked at that sample photograph, with the notations on it. The
shadow is easily taken care of if the fill light is bright enough on
the top side of the picture. Otherwise, another wonderful option is to
get a frosted plastic sheet from a ceiling florescent fixture. Place a
low-powered flash under it. This will force the background pure white
and will also provide back fill on the object.

The gleam? Not much you can do about that except place your key and
fill lights at different angles to the object. Metallic objects
essentially have mirror surfaces.

For example, if you are photographing a cylindrical-shaped object,
don't place your lights directly to the sides of the object, but
positioned 45 degrees off the nose and 45 degrees off the tail on the
opposite side of the object. They can still be angled downward toward
the object, of course, but by changing the position to being off the
ends, you will end up with much less area being a specular highlight.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite setups for photographing glassware
is to use a sweep table, but place a large sheet of vellum (using roll
vellum is very handy for this) suspended over the object in question.
the vellum can be extremely close to the object, but just barely
outside the camera frame. Actually, it doesn't matter if it is in the
frame or not if it goes pure white anyway. Suspend a flash almost
directly above the object above the vellum, but slightly closer to the
camera. The higher the flash, the more spread out the light (cloudy
day lighting). The closer the light to the vellum, the more 3D
modelling you get on the subject but the highlights have a sweet roll
off without any harsh shadow.

AG