Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine

Subject: Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:51:06 -0700
  On 10/13/2010 5:13 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> My only grouse with the images in this collection is the post-reduction
> sharpening and possibly the algorithm used for scaling. The images lack
> crispness and edge definition.

Yup, it's driving me crazy. Even with 1024 image width, I seem to have the
choice of mush or the busy/edgies.

> I tend to stay away from USM sharpening post reduction and go for the PWP
> Sharpen command instead, which applies USM a little smarter and in sub-pixel
> measurements. Kinda like 0.5 pixel width. Anyway, I apply sharpening till it
> looks crunchy then back off about 30%. Your images look like they've been
> sharpened with USM with a 2 pixel width after resizing.

OK, I downloaded PWP 5. What resizing settings do you recommend I try? The
default (bicubic, sharpening 16.7%) gives
something really mushy. Nice looking mushy, but ...

And what about sharpening? There are two choices, Sharpen and Advanced Sharpen,
and multiple settings in each. Got some
recommended starting points?

And how do I get a full size preview when sharpening? It's giving me half size.

> But with the busynesss of the images, if you sharpened too much JPEG won't be
> able to help much and the file sizes end up huge, even for small image
> dimensions.

Well. first things first. Can I get the foliage and such to look good in a
downsized image? Then I'll worry about the
size cost.

No Mushies Moose