Re: [OM] Pounded Head Moment - Part II

Subject: Re: [OM] Pounded Head Moment - Part II
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:41:04 -0700
  On 10/13/2010 1:31 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> After going through my DMC-L1 bashing last week regarding skintones, I
> buckled down and got to work with the conversions and understanding what is
> going on with the camera.
>
> 1. ...
>
> 2. The reds, oranges and yellows are easily blown out during conversion.
> Unfortunately, this combined with the yellow cast conspire to give strange
> color shifts where you least want them. I like healthy pink skin and the
> highlights go yellow instead.
>
> 3. Third-party converters other than Silkypix do not do the files justice.
> However, VueScan with an ICC profile actually does a bit better MOST of the
> time. Adobe Lightroom? That's a non-starter...
>
> So, by using the ICC profile in VueScan I was able to get an idea of what
> the tones were supposed to look like. Then using this test image as a guide
> I managed to find settings in Silkypix to pretty much match. What surprised
> me was how far off from the normal conversion this was.

Have you thought about this alternative?

1. Set up a standard SilkyPix setting that assures no blown red channel. Result
doesn't have to look particularly good.
2. Process IT8 shots through this fixed conversion.
3. Create ICC profiles for these.
4. Apply the appropriate profiles to SilkyPix output files.

This would give you color correction standardized without having to go through
the eyeballing process of SilkyPix to
Vuescan each time you have a new lighting situation.

Based on MikeG's comments, I've downloaded Coca. I haven't tried it yet, but
based on what Mike said Wolf Faust said, it
may well provide a better profile than VueScan for the skin tone subtleties you
are working on.

I just downloaded PWP 5 I've barely looked at it, but it does have an option to
change color profiles. There's also
probably an app that will batch apply profiles.

Mixed up Color Moose