Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine

Subject: Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:13:37 -0500
Moose, personally I think the size is a hint too large, but, yes, it
is a frustrating affair. At Zone-10 we've taken to presenting all
horizontally oriented images at 800 pixel width with a 20 pixel
border. Vertical images are another story, though. Because of the
narrow letterbox format of most screens today which are typicalky 720
or 800 pixels in height, we have to further reduce to about 640 in
height. Makes it rough because screens used to be 1024 in height.

My only grouse with the images in this collection is the
post-reduction sharpening and possibly the algorithm used for scaling.
The images lack crispness and edge definition. I tend to stay away
from USM sharpening post reduction and go for the PWP Sharpen command
instead, which applies USM a little smarter and in sub-pixel
measurements. Kinda like 0.5 pixel width. Anyway, I apply sharpening
till it looks crunchy then back off about 30%. Your images look like
they've been sharpened with USM with a 2 pixel width after resizing.

But with the busynesss of the images, if you sharpened too much JPEG
won't be able to help much and the file sizes end up huge, even for
small image dimensions.

AG Schnozz

--
Ken Norton