Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine

Subject: Re: [OM] Images - One day in SW Maine
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:52:08 -0500
> The only thing I strongly preferred in PWP over PhotoShop was PWP's
> implementation of the clone tool.  But I suspect my problem with the PS
> implementation may be that I've never gotten a proper education on
> brushes as used in cloning.  The PS clone tool often surprises me by
> painting beyond where I think it should.  In PWP the outermost diameter
> of the target area of the clone tool is always outlined by a faint
> circle.  There is never any surprise about where the brush is going to
> paint.  Not so in PS.

Good point, Chuck. I don't care for the clone tool for other reasons,
but that is definitely one of the niceties of PWP's implementation. I
had to clone spots on 44 images Tuesday and I'm still looking a bit
cross-eyed. Time to switch backgrounds to white and just blast the
snot out of it. White is boring, but does make life easier.

I struggle with the masking features, but they are extremely powerful.
Far too much for this old brain to understand.

PWP's implementation of Bicubic is different than PS. He put in some
smarts into it and it's definitely better at scaling than PS. With PS,
stair-stepping is sometimes necessary--especially if you have
hard-edged lines. PWP will usually keep things intact without getting
serrated edges to the same extent. I regularily uprez my E-1 files
with PWP (yes, some of us still need to do that) and have far better
luck with PWP than with any other editor or algorithm.

Back to the cloning--you actually have two circles. One for the source
and the other for the destination. I really like PS's healing brush,
but it only works when you are in the midst of an expanse. Get close
to the nose and you get really wierd things happening. The GIMP's
healing brush is probably better than PS's. But cloning in PWP is very
fast and efficient.

I was a heavy user of Macromedia xRes. Absolutely loved that program.
Cloning and layers were, in my opinion, the standard by which
everything else is compared to. Between that and Extreme 3D...

AG