Re: [OM] Images - Acadia NP

Subject: Re: [OM] Images - Acadia NP
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:47:46 -0700
On 10/30/2010 3:37 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Is that the new boardwalk on the Jessup Trail? If so, I fear too many feet
> will find my birches. Sigh.

It is indeed the Jessup. At first I was upset, but then we walked it. it's
quite a beautiful experience, and at least
when we were there, peaceful. It provides beautiful views that would otherwise
require fighting mud and muck most of the
year and doing considerable damage to the local ecology.

So OK, more people will find the trail of birches. I hope they won't damage it,
but really, it is a National Park, not a
private reserve. I only saw a few people on it in two lengthy visits, coming
and going. I can't see where they were
hurting anything.

As I was about to enter on the way back, a couple walking out told me in hushed
tones how beautiful it is in there. They
sounded more like they were coming out of a cathedral, so they really got
something out of it.

> And where, if you'll let the secret out, is MG 1668criia60? I want to go
> there myself.<g>

Ah, I thought that might trick some eyes as to scale. I love getting shots of
natural things where scale is not clear.

It's simply a tide pool at lowish tide in late afternoon light. It sort of
looks like it could be a much bigger lake,
but it's maybe 3x5 feet.
It'd certainly be a know attraction if it were 300x500' :-)

I think the trick is tide and light direction and color more than a particular
pool. Here's another pool quite nearby. I
managed to get my shadow in the corner and some ocean in the other corner,
which should give a better idea of scale.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Coastal%20Maine/Mt_Desert_and_Acadia&image=_MG_1672iia.jpg>

There are lots of similar pools in that kind of rock along the S. shore of Mt.
Desert. I'll be putting up a few more in
my gallery. This particular one is east of Little Hunter and I think I have the
co-ordinates to send you. But there is
very similar stuff east of Bass Harbor Light and elsewhere along the shore.

Moose