Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 18:47:21 -0700
On 6/26/2010 5:07 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Huh?  It didn't just roll back to 1?  Hmmm.  That's interesting.  I just
> looked back about 20 months to find a rollover and see that the rollover
> occurred at 13:52 on Oct 9, 2008.  That image was called IMG_0001 and the one
> immediately prior was IMG_9999.
>
> It confused me for a moment when I first looked in the folder which is sorted
> by image number.  The first image shown, of course, is IMG_001 and IMG_9999
> is at the bottom of the folder display.  The previous folder ended with
> IMG_9979 and gives the appearance of jumping from there to IMG_001 when
> opening the next folder.

Ah, I see what happened. When it passed the boundary, it created a new
folder. The original folder, and the one on my other cards, is 100EOS5D
and the new one is 101EOS5D.

Then, in the same session, I filled up the card, put in another, erased
all the old images and continued shooting. I guess I should have
formatted the card, perhaps then the camera would have remembered and
put in the 101EOS5D folder.

As it was, it appears to have carried on with the numbering from the
last image that had been recorded on the card, even though it had been
erased. Ah well, a little diddling has put it right. I renumbered
everything on HD and CF card. (Bulk Rename Utility makes it fast) Used
the camera menu to create a new folder, which apparently resets the
internal camera counter to 0001, selected the new folder, moved the
highest numbered image to the new folder, took a new pic and it was
numbered correctly.

Silly business.

> I don't remember it happening but according to the 5D manual the camera will
> display "FULL" when the image number hits 9999 and will force you to change
> CF cards.

No, that definitely didn't happen. It just added the new folder and went
merrily on.

Number Challenged Moose