Re: [OM] The sound of one cap smoking

Subject: Re: [OM] The sound of one cap smoking
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:42:33 +1000 (EST)
Hi Ken,

> Well, after 18 years, my medium-fi stereo receiver has finally let the
> magic smoke out one last time. Details at 6:00.

<snip>

> So, now I need to find an amp to replace it. Frankly, having an AM/FM
> tuner is less important than a surround-sound decoder. But a halfway
> decent sound is even more important. As We're beginning the job change
> routine, my budget is way low and a used unit is hunky dory. I'm
> looking for advice and maybe some leads on a decent unit for cheep.

ok first you need to action your local council for a hard waste day,
then ensure it occurs for you within the next 2-4 weeks.
Take your dog for daily walks during that period and I'm sure
you will score something nice.

I've picked up nice amps, recievers, speakers etc around here,
I will admit the odd amp has needed me to fault find, and about
1/2 the speakers have needed new tweeters and/or mids but
otherwise friends and family have done well from me :-)

Marantz, Technics, Sony, Hitachi, even a nice vintage Sanyo
solid state amp with a darlington output pair (though it did need
3 caps and a resistor to a zener replaced).

The Marantz is a fake surround setup, the Sony though has
5 discrete amps, as well as Audio/Video/Optical i/o but no
HDMI (guess thats why it was upgraded), nice bit of gear
though.

My main computer is a Dual 3GHz AMD Atholon AM2+ with 4 G
of ram that I picked up off the street a couple of years ago.
WinXP had a problem so I reformated, installed OS/2 4.52 and
it's been running like a charm since, though I did put the guts
in a nicer box.

People around here obviously have to much money, or not
enough brains, or both. And as we have turned into a throw
away society, I have noticed most of the repair shops around
here have shut, as the owners retire no ones replacing them.

The only thing that keeps the others going would be warranty
work.

Cheers
Ian Manners
"Waiter, there's no fly in my soup!"  -- Kermit the frog