Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:23:18 -0400
Thanks for the pleasant photo interlude.  I'm always a sucker for pretty
clouds and fog.  Nice shot of the buck too.  We often get a small herd
of 6-12 does and fawns bedding down in the back yard or munching things
we'd prefer they not eat but the bucks manage to stay hidden.

Actually, there are far too many deer here.  I accidentally killed a
young doe two summers ago just a couple blocks from the house.  It had
just gotten dark and she came running at full tilt out into the street
from between two houses.  I never saw her but she ran head first into
the front fender just ahead of my door.  That left a dent in the fender
and the her hind quarters slid under the rear wheel which ended up
breaking her back and paralyzing her back half.  From my perspective
there was nothing but a huge and mysterious bang (as she hit the side of
the car) and then the car seemed to leap into the air as it ran over
her.  I thought I had hit a big stone or log laying in the road.  I was
astounded to see the deer laying in the road after I turned the car
around to see what had happened.  Fortunately, a sheriff's deputy was
not far away and dispatched her with a pistol shot.  He was extremely
reluctant at first to fire the pistol in a suburban neighborhood but
eventually relented after watching her frenzied attempts to escape using
only her front legs.

Chuck Norcutt