Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:55:10 -0700
On 4/9/2010 4:17 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Moose,
>
> The thing that confounds me, with macro lenses, and I should have expected
> this from the start, is that as one moves in closer to the subject, the DOF
> decreases to a ridiculous point.

It's just "do the math" physics. There are some new and very different
imaging concepts being worked on that may change DOF possibilities, but
as long as we stick to simple refraction based lenses, the rules are fixed.

> My Leica Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro lens requires stopping down to a minimum
> opening in order to get the full subject in focus.  I'm sure this is fine for
> flat subjects, but just doesn't work out for me, particularly with flowers.

One relatively recent change is DOF stacking software. You take a series
of shots with the plane of focus moved in small increments. The software
merges the sharp parts. I've been meaning to try that, but have by now
forgotten the names of the apps. I do have a handful of sets of images
that may work.

I think one trick is to use a focusing rail, rather than refocusing the
lens. That way, he in focus part of each 'slice' is the same
magnification, so there is less size matching for the software to do.

Moose