Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 03:13:35 -0700
On 4/8/2010 10:28 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Ok, now I understand.  I used the term "sleeper" because the 50mm focal
> length is generally considered the "Ford Taurus" of lenses. Pretty much
> everywhere and given about as much respect as a plate of cold hot-dogs.

Ah, as suspected, a matter of definition.

But what are you doing bashing my car???

Oh, dear, I may have hurt myself when I fell off the chair.

Actually, we do have an old '92 Taurus wagon, our beloved utility
player. It hauls amazing amounts of stuff, inlcuding the kids and
grandkids on vacation, 4x8 sheets of stuff on the sturdy roof rack,
etc., acts as backup for the other cars. If it finally dies, I'm going
to miss it. If I had a rural place, I'd be lookin' fer a couple of low
mileage '95 Tauri or Sables to leave in the side yard as spares (Last
year of the big ones.).

> When we talk about super-duper quality Zuikos, the first ones mentioned are
> almost always the F2 lenses.

We?

I'm not sure I'm sold. Look at the recent threads on the 24, 28 & 35 mm
OM lenses. Not everybody here is convinced that the F2s are better. I
happen to have two of those, but as much through happenstance as real
belief they are better.  Faster, well of course, but better in other
regards? I'm not so sure.

I've not compared them myself, but I'm convinced that a 50/2 wouldn't
outperform my 50/3.5s for copy work

The 85/2 is very nice, but I'm not convinced it would make much real
difference for most purposes to use the 100/2.8. (My personal experience
with the 90/2 was quite disappointing, but I know that's not universal.)
The 18/3.5 is wonderful, and I'm not convinced a 21/2 would give my much
my 21/3.5 doesn't have. Although slightly awkward to use off a copy
set-up, the 135/4.5 is a terrific performer. Guess I'm just a plebeian -
or contrarian. :-)

If asked to name the best OM lenses, I'd have included the last 50/1.4.

> So, these are the reasons why I referred to the 50mm F1.4 as a sleeper.

Ok. Peace.

Moose