Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:15:11 +0200
On 10 Apr 2010, at 5:55 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 4/9/2010 4:17 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>> Moose,
>>
>> The thing that confounds me, with macro lenses, and I should have
>> expected this from the start, is that as one moves in closer to the
>> subject, the DOF decreases to a ridiculous point.
>
> It's just "do the math" physics. There are some new and very different
> imaging concepts being worked on that may change DOF possibilities,
> but
> as long as we stick to simple refraction based lenses, the rules are
> fixed.

Did anybody say "focus stacking" ? There are, for me, two reasons to
shoot digital:

- Focus stacking for macro work
- Multi-exposure High-dynamic range (for when 14 stops of B&W film
just ain't enough)

The work done on plenoptic cameras (where a 4-dimensional light field
is captured, and in
software one can afterwards place the focus plane anywhere one likes)
is also very very
interesting

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/

but the resolution currently is pitifully low to my understanding
(much lower than diffraction-limiting
yourself by stopping down a Macro lens all the way, even to like f/45)
and I am not sure what has been
done in terms of Macro images with plenoptic cameras - i.e. whether it
will even work properly?

If so, that would be amazing, sign me up.
Dawid