Re: [OM] Talking about violet

Subject: Re: [OM] Talking about violet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:00:01 -0700
On 4/6/2010 2:47 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> After seeing the discussion about violet reproduction, I was a bit worry if
> the later Olympus camera will have problem to see it. Here are some shots
> taken for the same type of flower at different date but under similar
> daylight (overcast) condition:
>
> E-1  http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P3180419.jpg
>
> E-PL1  http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P4060397.jpg
>
> 5D II  http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_1700.JPG
>
> 40D  http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0806.JPG
>
> All converted from RAW with daylight balance, what do you think?

The difference in background, particularly brightness, makes visual
comparison pretty impossible for me. To get a semi objective measure of
difference, I selected the violet portion of the primary flower in all
four, expressly leaving out the very different, pinkish petal in the 40D
shot.

I then averaged the selected area. Here are the color values:

Channel   E-1    E-LP1    5DII     40D
--------------------------------------
Red       113     126      129     112
Green      32      42       29      37
Blue      146     150      144     142

Assuming the E-1 is most accurate, per AG:

Difference
Red                13       16      -1
Green              10       -3       5
Blue                4       -2      -4
Total              27       11       0

Absolute Difference
Red                13       16       1
Green              10        3       5
Blue                4        2       4
Total              27       21      10

The 40D is the clear winner in "E-1 emulation", with very small
individual deviations and an average deviation of zero. You are right to
be concerned about the E-LP1, as it's the farthest off.

Certainly nothing absolute in all this. You don't say what RAW
converter(s) were used. In the case of ACR, the default conversion
depends on some values drawn from test shots of targets, so RAW
conversion probably says more about ACR than the camera itself, at least
at this level of subtlety.

It might be interesting to compare JPEGs and/or RAW conversions using
Oly software for their camera and Canon's DPP for theirs. or did you do
that?

A. Violet Moose
[Just one letter away from trouble.]