Re: [OM] Adobe RAW and Camera RAW converters

Subject: Re: [OM] Adobe RAW and Camera RAW converters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:42:51 -0700
On 4/10/2010 12:10 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> Ok, here are the test images converted from 5D II and E-PL1. See if you found
> the BIG difference with the Adobe converter.
>
> 5D II
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_7213_DPP.JPG
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_7213_PS.jpg
>
> E-PL1
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P4090476M2.jpg
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P4090476_PS.jpg
>

> All use white balance tool to do W/B on the "White" block.
>
> Don't see any problem? I think I had talked about the lacking "Green" on the
> shadow for 5D II, now that is more, check the red value on the "Green block"
> and green value on the Magenta block. It is greatly differ from the raw
> converters from both camera manufacturer! Both are zero for the E-PL1 image.

I only looked at the 5D II images. I just can't learn anything from
these. I'm not familiar with the test chart, so I have no idea what the
patches should look like. Sure, they are different, but I don't know
which may be closer to accurate. The colors on neither one look entirely
pure to me. The floor looks different in the different samples, but
either could be OK without knowing what the original looks like.

I did notice that clicking on the white block gave different results on
one than the other, and with a 3x3 dropper vs. 51x51 pixel. Are you
using a dropper that samples a fairly large number of pixels? I know how
to set that in PS, but not in ACR or DPP.

The truth is that I have very seldom tried DPP. When I have, I've been
more pleased with the unadjusted result from ACR than DPP. I don't
recall ever using the color balance dropper in either converter. I do
use it occasionally in PS.