Re: [OM] Update : Re: how many megapixels here?

Subject: Re: [OM] Update : Re: how many megapixels here?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:39:57 -0500
A friend of mine made a 24x36 poster print from a portrait of his
daughter taken with a 3 MP Canon D30.  Looks pretty good from 2 feet away.

The 4064 horizontal pixels of the 1Ds would give you 100 pixels/inch on
a 40" print.  As Ken pointed out:
Make an image file in your editor of choice and create a pattern of 1
pixel wide vertical black and white lines. Print this at 300dpi.  Can
you see the pattern?  Let's go one step further. Add horizontal black
lines.  This should give you 1 pixel white dots surrounded by 1 pixel of
black.  Can you see the dots?

Now, start scaling the images up to 200dpi on the printed page.  Then
try 150dpi.  Even try 75dpi.

At 150dpi the human eye is easily able to discern the lines and dots
(provided that the scaling engine didn't blur things too much), but just
barely. If the edges of the lines remain sharp and not blurred, the
detail is maintained to the maximum of what the human eye is comfortably
viewing.

Perhaps he prints with a good upsampling engine like Qimage.  Check what
it does to the jaggies on this demo page:
<http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/>

Chuck Norcutt